April 26, 2012

CHICOUTIMI, Que. – Charlie Coyle scored in regulation and again in overtime to lift the Saint John Sea Dogs to a 3-2 win over the Chicoutimi Sagueneens Thursday.

The American standout added an assist on Jonathan Huberdeau’s goal, reclaimed the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League playoff scoring lead and, more importantly, put the Dogs within one win of returning to the President’s Cup final. Mathieu Corbeil made 28 saves, including seven in overtime, as Saint John seized a 3-1 lead in the best-of-seven semifinal. Zack Phillips chipped in two assists.

Jeremy Gregoire and Charles Hudon scored for Chicoutimi, while Christopher Gibson made 28 saves in the loss.

For a complete summary of Thursday’s game, click HERE. For interviews and highlights, visit Sea Dogs TV, the team’s official YouTube channel.

Game 5 will be back at Harbour Station at 7 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are on sale at the Harbour Station box office and can also be obtained by calling 506-657-1234 or online at

Coyle opened the scoring off the rush at 18:04 of the first period when he got a shot from the right-wing circle through Gibson’s short side. Phillips fed his fellow Minnesota Wild prospect for the goal.

Chicoutimi had a golden opportunity to equalize early in the second off the stick of Guillaume Asselin in the slot, but Corbeil stood tall to stop it and fell on top of the rebound. Gregoire did get one behind Corbeil at 6:38 of the middle frame when he finished on a scramble in front to make it 1-1.

In Game 3 the Sags had twice responded to a Sea Dogs goal with a goal of their own less than a minute later. This time the Dogs showed they could come back with a quick marker as Huberdeau put Saint John back in front at 7:21. The Saint John captain was in front to tap in the rebound of Coyle’s sharp-angle shot from the left wing. Danick Gauthier got the other assist on the goal, Huberdeau’s ninth.

But the Sags showed they still had the ability to reply quickly as Hudon knotted things back up just 20 seconds later. Hudon poked a puck past Durepos at the Chicoutimi blueline, raced to the other end alone and roofed a shot past Corbeil to make it 2-2.

The 2-2 scoreline stood through the third period. The teams combined for just seven shots in the third, giving way to the extra frame to decide things.

What the third period lacked in chances, overtime made up for in just a few minutes. Christian Ouellet had a great chance early, walking out from the right-wing corner, but Corbeil stayed with him and covered up. With Chicoutimi carrying the play, Sea Dogs coach Gerard Gallant called a timeout. The Sags continued to generate chances, with Corbeil forced to flash the leather for an outstanding glove save on Steve Lebel about six minutes in.

On the ensuing faceoff, Coyle showcased his immense individual talents on the winning play. Coyle cleanly won the draw to Corbeil’s right, took a pass at centre ice off his skate, drove around a defender on the left wing and banged in his own rebound. Charles Roussel and Phillips picked up the assists on the goal, Coyle’s 13th.

More News
3 hours ago
1 day ago
SEA DOGS 3 - OTTERS 6 (May 26/17) -- MasterCard Memorial Cup, Semifinal
3 days ago
SEA DOGS 7 - THUNDERBIRDS 0 (May 23/17) -- MasterCard Memorial Cup, Game 3
3 days ago
SEA DOGS 5 - OTTERS 12 (May 22/17) -- MasterCard Memorial Cup, Game 2
3 days ago
SEA DOGS 2 - SPITFIRES 3 (May 19/17) -- MasterCard Memorial Cup, Game 1
3 days ago