HALIFAX – The Halifax Mooseheads scored four times in the second period on their way to a 7-3 victory over the Saint John Sea Dogs, Wednesday at Scotiabank Centre.

Benoit-Olivier Groulx had two goals for Halifax (42-17-6-1) while Jared McIsaac added a goal and two assists. Brett Crossley, Joel Bishop, Ben Higgins and Barrett Dachyshyn also scored.

Cedric Pare had a goal and an assist for Saint John (14-41-9-2). Aiden MacIntosh and Ben Reid each added a goal.

A scoring summary is available HERE.

The Mooseheads opened the scoring just thirty seconds into the game when McIsaac whistled a wrist shot from the high slot that beat goaltender Tommy Da Silva over his blocker.

Crossley doubled the Halifax lead near the six-minute mark with a hard wrist shot from the top of the right circle that went over Da Silva’s glove.

The Sea Dogs cuts their deficit in half with under three minutes remaining in the period as the two teams skated 4-on-4.

Radim Salda carried the puck down the right wing on a 2-on-1 and sent a quick backhand feed to Pare on the left side. The Boston Bruins prospect lifted a wrister into the top of the net, over a sprawling Alexis Gravel in the Mooseheads’ goal.

The home side netted a power play goal more than four minutes into the second period.

Groulx got away from his man near the left side of the crease and took a cross-crease feed from Otto Somppi for a tap-in.

Just over a minute later, Halifax had a goal disallowed after Higgins knocked an airborne puck into an open net. He was ruled to have used a high-stick.

Saint John struck back seven-and-a-half minutes into the middle frame.

An initial shot from the right point was steered into the corner by Gravel. Kevin Mason chased down the loose puck and whipped a pass in front of the crease to MacIntosh, who chipped it through the goaltender’s legs to make it a 3-2 game.

The Mooseheads regained a two-goal lead more than a minute after that when Bishop moved into the left circle, used a toe drag to change his shooting angle, and rifled a wrist shot over Da Silva’s glove.

Halifax then took advantage of a double-minor penalty assessed to the Sea Dogs, scoring two power play goals.

First, with five minutes left in the period, Groulx ripped a heavy wrist shot from the top of the right circle that went over Da Silva’s glove.

Ninety-four seconds later, a low snap shot from McIsaac was deflected through Da Silva’s legs by Higgins to make it 6-2.

Stewart Bagnell replaced Da Silva in the Saint John goal to start the third period.

Reid got the Sea Dogs back within three early in the third.

The Quispamsis-native took a drop pass from Pare at the top of the left circle, stepped into the slot and ripped a wrist shot past Gravel’s glove.

Dachyshyn closed out the scoring with nine minutes to go in the third with a heavy wrist shot that got past the glove of Bagnell.

Gravel earned the win with 28 saves. Da Silva took the loss with 24 stops through two periods. Bagnell made nine saves in the final twenty minutes.

McIsaac earned first star with three points while Groulx’s two goals made him second star. Bishop took third star with the eventual game-winning goal and five hits in front of 7,677 fans in attendance.

The Sea Dogs’ next game is Friday, March 16th, at 7 p.m. against the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles at Centre 200. Listen LIVE on 96.1 NewSong FM or Watch LIVE on Neulion.


More News
1 day ago
4 days ago
02/15/19 - Wildcats 8 Sea Dogs 1
6 days ago
1 week ago
Sea Dogs wins it in OT ! Islanders 5 - Seas Dogs 6
1 week ago
02/13/2019 - Sea Dogs 0 Islanders 6
1 week ago