BILLET A SEA DOG PLAYER
Being drafted by a junior hockey team may mean making sacrifices. For many, it involves moving away from home for the first time, possibly at 16 years of age. In some cases the player has to learn a new language. A team member could actually be with the same team and family for up to five years – the norm is three years – unless a trade occurs or a change is required. During this time, bonding takes place among the entire family. In turn, lasting relationships are forged. Contact among billet parents and their former billet(s) is maintained on a regular basis. The billet home becomes a player’s second home, and the community becomes a second hometown. In the past billet parents have traveled to Europe, the USA and across Canada to visit the home of their billet(s) and visit with their families. As well, former Sea Dogs have returned to Saint John to reconnect with former billet families and friends.
There are many benefits that come along with billeting a member of the Saint John Sea Dogs. These do not equal the overwhelming joy a family receives from opening their hearts and homes to a young man who is trying to achieve his dream of playing in the National Hockey League.
All potential billet families must undergo an in-house interview and complete a consent form for Release of Criminal Record Information. They must also complete the Respect In Sport online session. At such time, the current billeting coordinators also inspect a prospective player’s room. All potential billet parents must meet the high standards as set out by the Saint John Sea Dogs Hockey Club.
Billet families are considered the Saint John Sea Dogs “Off-Ice” team. Without them, the “On-Ice” team would not be a success.
Billet Families Responsibilities
* Transportation – During training camp, billet families are asked to provide transportation to tryouts at Harbour Station or other designated locations. (Transportation is provided by the team during the season.)
* Dedicated Room – which includes a double bed or larger, a student desk for homework (if required)
* Nutritious meals
* Laundry – to be determined between player and billet
* Support, communication and understanding are vital. All concerns regarding the player should be directed to the billet coordinators
* Having the player feel at home and part of the family is very important
* Player Billet Profile – to be completed at season end by billet family
Billet Family Benefits
* Two Season Tickets/Flex Packs for all games including playoffs. Billet families may purchase additional season tickets for $340 or individual game tickets at $10 each.
* All Billet Families will receive a card entitling them to a 10% discount on all regular priced Saint John Sea Dogs merchandise.
* Monetary Compensation is $90.00 per week. (This does not include training camp, which will be paid at $15.00 per day and is paid separately).
Services Provided By Hockey Club
* TRANSPORATION: Will be provided for all school and hockey functions. (Billets to provide in emergency situations.)
* EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE: Will be provided by an Educational Advisor
For more information send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To download an application form to become a billet, click HERE