SUBWAY GAME RECAP: Sea Dogs Top Eagles in Close 5-4 Win 

Peter Reynolds had two goals and two assists to help the Saint John Sea Dogs (21-36-2-1) snap their four-game losing streak with a 6-5 win over the Cape Breton Eagles (24-31-3-1)

Noah Reinhart also had a strong game with a goal and an assist while Eriks Mateiko tallied a pair of helpers.

Olivier Houde led the Eagles with two goals and an assist while Jacob Newcombe had a goal and two assists and Ivan Ivan had three assists.

Ventsislav Shingarov made 28 stops to get the win in net for the Sea Dogs while Oliver Satny had 35 saves for the Eagles.

1:23 into the first Cam Squires received a pass in behind the Sea Dogs defense for a dangerous early chance in close but Shingarov shut the door.

Four minutes later Vince Élie centered the puck from the left corner to Reynolds who just missed the mark and hit the side of the net.

A few minutes later Brady Burns circled the Eagle’s zone multiple times before finding Cole Burbidge down low for a sharp-angle shot, but he could not elevate it over the shoulder of Satny.

Just over the halfway point of the period, Reynolds maneuvered past a couple of Eagles defenders and fired a hard wrist shot on but Satny got his left pad out to make the save.

With 7:18 left in the first, Ivan circled out from behind the Sea Dogs net and found Olivier Houde in the slot whose ensuing shot was stopped but Squires found the rebound amidst a scramble and pushed it over the line for the 1-0 Eagles lead.

Jared Cosman nearly tied it seconds later, intercepting a puck in the neutral zone for a partial break, but could not find the back of the net past Satny.

Cosman did draw a penalty on the play and shortly after Reynolds fed Noah Reinhart in the slot, his shot was stopped but the rebound came right to Reynolds who buried it to tie the game 1-1 heading into the first intermission.

Shots after the first were 15-11 for the Sea Dogs.

After several minutes of back-and-forth play to open the second, Ivan circled to the top of the Sea Dogs zone and passed to Angelo Fullerton in the middle of the slot who had all sorts of time to snap it under the glove of Shingarov to put Cape Breton ahead 2-1.

Three minutes later Saint John pushed back with a heavy forecheck that saw both Burns and Mateiko get high-danger shots in front, but neither got through.

Just under two minutes later Reynolds skated up the right wing into the Eagles zone, stopped up and found Joseph Ianniello with a back door pass that Ianniello put home to tie the game once more 2-2.

At 4:57 of the second period, Sea Dogs forward Nathan Casey sustained an injury after he collided with Antoine Roy of the Eagles. The game was delayed for several minutes as Casey was attended to by on-site EMS personnel and transported to the hospital for further evaluation. He did not return to the game.

With 2:21 left in the second Burns set up Nicolas Bilodeau on a 2-on-1 who put the puck five-hole on Satny to give the Sea Dogs the 3-2 lead at the second intermission.

Shots after the second were 28-18 for the Sea Dogs.

Just under three minutes into the third a Sea Dog point shot bounced off the end boards right to Burbidge’s stick at the side of the Eagles’ goal, but he couldn’t get a handle on the puck to put it past Satny.

Shortly after, with the Sea dogs on the powerplay, Reynolds stopped up just inside the Eagles blueline and floated a pass into Reinhart who turned and fired the puck past Satny to put Saint John up 4-2.

With just over ten minutes left to play, Newcombe put a wrist shot from the point towards the goal that took a weird deflection off a Sea Dog skate and past Shingarov to cut the lead to 4-3.

The Sea Dogs answered back just 2:06 later as Reynolds and Luke Benoit worked a give-and-go up ice and Reynolds skated in and buried his second of the game to restore the two-goal lead 5-3.

The Sea Dogs added to their lead just 1:13 later as Mateiko found Alex Drover in front with a pass from the right corner that Drover directed in to make it 6-3.

The Eagles fought back 1:23 later as Charles Boutin hit Houde with a backdoor pass that he buried to make it 6-4.

Houde did get a late powerplay goal with 18 seconds left, but the Sea Dogs killed it off and hung on for the 6-5 win.

Final shots were 41-33 for the Sea Dogs.

Alpine 3 Stars

1 Peter Reynolds (2G 2A)

2 Noah Reinhart (1G 1A)

3 Jacob Newcombe (1G 2A)

Full Stats

The Sea Dogs and Eagles play each other again on Tuesday, March 7th, at TD station. Puck drop is at 7PM AST and you can get your tickets at the TD Station Box Office and online.

The Sea Dogs only have four more home games left this season so be sure to redeem your flex vouchers while they are still valid at the TD Station Box Office!

More News
  Jeff Hansen Promoted to Associate Coach
2 weeks ago
SUBWAY GAME RECAP: Sea Dogs Season Comes to an End in Game 5 
2 months ago
Anthony Stella Promoted to General Manager
2 months ago
SUBWAY GAME RECAP: Gatineau up in Series 3-1 After Sea Dogs Fall in Game 4 
2 months ago
SUBWAY GAME RECAP: Sea Dogs Win 3-2 in Game 3
2 months ago
2 months ago