SUBWAY GAME RECAP: Shingarov Stops 38 Shots in Sea Dogs Loss to Cape Breton

Oliver Satny stopped 27 of the 28 shots he faced to backstop the Cape Breton Eagles (22-29-3-1) to a 3-1 win over the Saint John Sea Dogs (20-34-1-1) on Saturday night.

Antoine Roy led the Eagles in the win with a goal and an assist.

Pavel Simek had the lone goal for the Sea Dogs while Ventsislav Shingarov made 38 saves in net.

1:35 into the first the Eagles came down on a 3-on-1 that led to a dangerous chance for Jacob Newcombe but Shingarov was equal to the task and made the save.

Roy opened the scoring at the midway point of the period, jamming in a point shot that ricocheted off the end boards and out front to make it 1-0 Eagles.

Two and a half minutes later, Brady Burns snuck in behind the Cape Breton defense to get a quality shot off just to the left of the net, but Satny got a glove on it to keep it out and maintain the Eagles lead at first intermission.

Shots after the first period were 15-8 for Cape Breton.

After a low event start to the second, the Sea Dogs came down on a 2-on-1 and a pass from Simek deflected off an Eagles defender and past Satny to tie the game 1-1.

The Sea Dogs nearly took the lead a minute later, swarming the Eagles net.

Cole Burbidge put a shot off the crossbar and Joseph Ianniello pounced on the rebound but Satny dove across to make a spectacular save to keep it tied.

With four minutes left in the period, Ivan Ivan flew up the right wing of the ice and powered his way to the net for a chance but Shingarov stayed with him to make a great save.

In the final minute of the period, Peter Reynolds corralled the puck all alone in front of the Eagles net only to be robbed by the pad of Satny.

Cape Breton then took the puck the other way and fed it to Conor Shortall for a point blank chance but Shingarov matched his counterpart with an equally great save, keeping the score deadlocked after 40 minutes.

Shots after the second were 26-22 for the Eagles.

After another tightly contested start to the third, the Eagles came down at the halfway mark on a 3-on-1 that saw Ivan Ivan just missing the go-ahead goal as he put it wide.

Two minutes later, the Eagles gained the lead as Samuel Johnson fed a backdoor pass to Trevor Thurston past two Sea Dogs defenders who directed the puck past Shingarov to give Cape Breton the 2-1 lead.

With three minutes to play Reynolds got the puck in the slot for another glorious chance only to put the puck wide and Vince Élie fired another close shot just seconds later, but could not find the back of the net.

That is as close as Saint John came as Cam Squires scored an empty netter with 1:16 left to make it a 3-1 final.

Final shots were 41-28 for the Eagles.

Alpine 3 Stars

1 Antoine Roy (1G 1A)

2 Oliver Statny (27 saves)

3 Ventsislav Shingarov (38 saves)

Full Stats

The Sea Dogs and Eagles meet again tomorrow afternoon at Centre 200 in Cape Breton. Puck drop is at 3 PM AST and you can listen to the game on Sea Dogs Radio presented by TD at CFBC 930 AM or watch at

The Sea Dogs only have five more home games left this season so be sure to redeem your flex vouchers while they’re still valid at the TD Station box office!

More News
  Jeff Hansen Promoted to Associate Coach
2 weeks ago
SUBWAY GAME RECAP: Sea Dogs Season Comes to an End in Game 5 
2 months ago
Anthony Stella Promoted to General Manager
2 months ago
SUBWAY GAME RECAP: Gatineau up in Series 3-1 After Sea Dogs Fall in Game 4 
2 months ago
SUBWAY GAME RECAP: Sea Dogs Win 3-2 in Game 3
2 months ago
2 months ago